Friday, March 29, 2013

SPRING BREAK!!!!

It's officially SPRING BREAK!!!! 

We had a 'Mentoring Lab' on Thursday of last week, where fourth semester students (those graduating in May) mentored us.  It was a laid back lab where we went over some basic skills and got to ask them questions, pretty much any question we wanted.  I was relieved to learn that several of these people have juggled their full time or some two part time jobs along with passing (and some of them even have small kids!).  I was glad to know that yes, others have done this.  I've been discouraged as so often I'm told by advisers (and even other students) that you just 'cannot work and do this program'!  This is not an option for me.  Dale and I both work a lot to keep afloat.  Yes we take trips to Disney or cruises but they aren't on a whim, they are well planned out and done far in advance so we can make little payments at a time.  So back to the lab.  We were divided into five groups (of three students each).  I over heard some not very kind comments coming into the lab about the upper level students talking 'down' to us 'newbies'!  I did NOT experience any of that, thankfully.  Each gal I worked with (our class has one of the largest ratio of male student nurses than any class before, still out  numbered by the female students) were very kind, supportive, gave tips on what they have seen, how they have tackled certain tasks or courses.  Lots of encouragement.  I was really glad we had the chance to experience this.

So back to nursing.  This week, one of the student nurses in my clinical group lost her father, another student in the same evening group but on the opposite schedule (we are divided in 1/2 so while we are at the nursing home the other 1/2 is at the hospital and we flip back) dropped out of the program this week.  Another student I knew from one of the day clinical groups dropped out a couple weeks ago.  It gets scary when you see people dropping.

This was my last week at the nursing home until later this semester.  After spring break, I'll be back at the hospital for two weeks and then back to the nursing home for two weeks (and then school is just about over for the semester!!!).  This week, I had patient whom I thoroughly enjoyed working with.  My patient was open to having a student nurse and assisted me when possible with their own care.  I was able to also assist others students with their patients when they needed help (and at times others assisted me).  It's great that we are able to help each other out.  Nothing like getting into the room to assist your patient with something and running out of supplies or forgetting to bring all that was needed into the room.  Thankfully there is usually another student close by to give you a hand.

Also this week, we had a lab on catheterization.  I have been fortunate to have actually observed a straight cath earlier this semester at the hospital.  This week we learned about the different types of catheters and when they are used and how to insert and remove them.  Not something I'm looking forward to doing but know the time will come that I will need to do this and I hopefully will remember to use all the skills I've been taught and to treat my patient with the dignity and respect they should have when having this procedure (or any other for that matter).  

I'm excited to get back to the hospital setting as I seem to enjoy the faster pace (less down time) there.  In the meantime, I'm trying to catch up on all the lectures I've put off the past two weeks since I've just been wiped out.  Thankfully with a week of no classes or clinical I can come home from work each day and work on school work in the evening.

There will be no update next week since there is no school.  I'll be back in two weeks (and hopefully get this blog out earlier in the week).

Many of you know that I'm very involved with the 3 Day for the Cure.  Since I was able to raise all the money I needed to walk Philly this coming October, I decided I would try and raise it over again and walk a second city!  I registered to walk the Boston 3 Day for the Cure which is later in July.  I've already raised over $500 towards that.  A friend made me this map.  I am trying to get a $20 donation from every state.  So far I have 15 states accounted for (therefore pink).  For each donation I am carrying the name of either the person who donates or the name of the loved one they want me to carry.  If you would like to help me out, please consider making a donation.    If you would like to donate, you can click this link My 3 Day for the Cure page

4 comments:

  1. Don't look at those dropping out. Don't look at how far you have to go. Just look at today! You can do this today!
    Vivit! He lives! We have hope because He lives! Praying!
    John 11:25-27 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Lynn, got to keep my eyes on the present, getting through each day with the Lord's help.

      Delete
  2. Praying right now!
    Psalms 40:1-4a I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD. Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust...
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always lifting up prayer!
    Psalms 40:5, 11, 13 Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered. (11) Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O LORD: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me. (13) Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me: O LORD, make haste to help me.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete