Thursday, April 18, 2013

Failing - Not An Option


I've been receiving information for that past two years from about Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society.  It's a Honor Society specifically for Community Colleges.  I finally bit the bullet and joined.  I've had a good GPA since starting this journey, but worry about the required GPA to continue as a member during these difficult two years of clinical.  This will hopefully encourage me to keep my grades up (and not just 'passing').  So, I am officially a member The Alpha Epsilon Zeta Chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society.   Now I just have to keep my grades at the required GPA to continue in it.  I've not had a chance to attend a meeting but will get to one in a few weeks before classes are over for the semester.

At the very start of our shift we received notice of the bombing at the Boston Marathon.  It was scary, as the alerts came in via phones and tv's around the hospital.  So it was with a heavy heart that I started my last week of hospital clinicals.

So this was our last week doing clinical work at the hospital.  I was bummed as I really enjoyed this time.  And due to scheduling, I wasn't going to have a patient this week.  Monday was my turn as the Team Leader.  In that role, we shadowed our instructor, got reports on each patient that our students had and assisted where needed.  I didn't think I would enjoy this but I really did.  I liked being able to help others.  Last week we worked on parenteral meds so each of the students in my group would have to give an injection this week since we are no longer able to provide medications at the nursing home we will be doing our final two clinical weeks with.  So as Team Leader I accompanied the instructor and the student nurse to the patients room where the student nurse gave the injection.  Those that went before me all had to do insulin injections with the insulin pens.  So there isn't to much to mess up.  When it was my turn, I was shocked that I had to give a heparin shot (this is a blood thinner that helps prevent blood clots in patients who aren't able to ambulate).  So thankfully, my instructor, allowed me to review all the steps in giving this shot.  She tried to trick me up by handing me two different syringes.  I was smart enough to know that (after checking the patients medication administration record) my patient to receive 5000 units or 1 mL of heparin.  The one syringe my instructor gave me would only hold .5 mL so I knew right off that wouldn't work.  We were taught exactly what to do the previous week in lab, so I knew that I had to inject 1 mL of air into the vial of medication and then withdraw 1 mL of heparin.  I was to inject this in to the patients abdomen.  Since the patient had gotten their injection that morning in the lower right quadrant I was to inject in the patients lower right quadrant.  I was very nervous at first, but did as I was taught and BAM, it was over!  I did it and I the patient didn't flinch, so I guess I didn't hurt them.  I was on cloud nine that I had done something else that I'd been taught!

The next day, I was on IV observation.  Our hospital has their own team of IV nurses that go all over the hospital starting IV's, assessing those that had been started earlier (or elsewhere), changing the locations as a problem arose.  I'll tell you these nurses move.  We got called to the ER to only get there and find out the patient had been sent to radiology so we were off to another unit at the very opposite part of the hospital.  This went on the entire time so it's obvious these nurses move all shift long.  We got a short break for dinner and then I was able to follow another team of IV nurses that had to start a PICC line.  This IV is inserted through a vein in the arm and threaded up the arm, into the superior vena cava (near the heart).  This procedure took a lot longer than a 'normal' IV and is done under sterile asepsis.  I was so glad I had the opportunity to observe this and the other procedures this night.  It was a great last night at the hospital. 

I was sad as we left knowing we won't be back until the fall but we will get back there.

So today was my sixth exam of the semester, the third of this course and I failed my exam.  I've not failed anything since starting this journey and I was heart broken and ashamed.  I was not going to share this as I am embarrassed that I didn't' do well on this exam, but I have to say I have worked my bottom off for the past three years  next month and failure is NOT an option!  I will work this much harder so that hopefully this never happens again.  I'm very nervous as it has been rumored that 60% of all students FAIL the final exam in this one course!  I thought surely this can't be true but now I'm beginning to wonder.  I know several others who also failed this exam and they also have never gotten a grade this low.  I have to say my failure was a 70, passing is a 75.  I still have a B average for this course but I truly want to makes sure I don't drop any further.  The last two exams of this semester are both in less than three weeks.  Our exams are usually a week apart but not the final two, we have them both in the same week.  And the material in both of these courses is much more difficult.

So I end this week with lots of studying to do this coming weekend.  I have a motorcycle ride with Dale on Saturday and I'm going to spend some quality time with him as we don't see each other to often these days.  On Monday I will get my turn in the Operating Room for observation!  I've heard all kinds of reports from students who have already done this and the only complaint has been the 'smell' of burning flesh.  I'll see how that goes and will update you next week.




8 comments:

  1. Oh Patricia, you continue to inspire me with your enthusiasm, honesty and determination! It took real courage to admit you 'failed' a test. Just so you know, your attitude of 'failure is not an option' came at a great time for me personally. I will definitely be sending you positive thoughts and know you will NOT fail! Thank you for being so inspirational and positive...I'm going to draw from that. :)
    On a different note, I'm so glad you're still enjoying clinicals and your proficiency is growing daily. You are without a doubt destined to be a great nurse! Can't wait for your next entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of material is it? Is it a matter of memorizing all kinds of things? I know this really hurt, but also know you can turn this around. I know you can make this happen!
    Always praying!
    2 Samuel 22:29-33 For thou art my lamp, O LORD: and the LORD will lighten my darkness. For by thee I have run through a troop: by my God have I leaped over a wall. As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him. For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God? God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  3. The passage today is a little different. Life itself is a battle and the way the Lord gets His children through battles doesn't change. He was with the Israelites as they headed into the Promised Land, and He's with you, helping you and giving you strength to face whatever lies ahead. Always here praying!
    Deuteronomy 20:1-4: When thou goest out to battle against thine enemies, and seest horses, and chariots, and a people more than thou, be not afraid of them: for the LORD thy God is with thee, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt. And it shall be, when ye are come nigh unto the battle, that the priest shall approach and speak unto the people, And shall say unto them, Hear, O Israel, ye approach this day unto battle against your enemies: let not your hearts faint, fear not, and do not tremble, neither be ye terrified because of them; For the LORD your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lifting up prayers right now!
    Isaiah 12:2-5 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation. Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation. And in that day shall ye say, Praise the LORD, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted. Sing unto the LORD; for he hath done excellent things: this is known in all the earth.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  5. Know that you're always in my thoughts and prayers!
    Romans 5:1-4 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continuing to lift up prayers!
    2 Corinthians 12:9-10 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  7. What words of comfort! Praying!
    Revelation 21:1-4 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our Savior is saying these words. Know that I'm here praying!
    Revelation 21:5-7 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete