Wednesday, May 15, 2013

It's Official!!!! I Passed My First Semester!!!

This was a difficult week. All semester as we had exams they were always one week apart making it a little easier to concentrate on what material we were being tested on. I had planned to spend all weekend studying, BUT, Sunday was the Broad Street Run (this is held the first Sunday in May each year). For those not familiar with this, it's the largest 10-miler in the US. People come from EVERY state (and other countries) to run this race. It's a fast race since it is virtually flat (with a gradual down hill slope most of the way). This would be my fifth Broad Street Run, but the first I would be running without properly training. School has taking a bite out of my time to train for running, so I was not sure at all how I would do, but I was determined to give it a shot. Aubre and I left home just after 5:30 Sunday am to head to Philly.  


We joined 40,000 (yes, 40-thousand) other runners and most of them had on red socks in support of Boston. A notice had gone after the Boston Marathon to wear red socks for the Broad Street to show your support for Boston. It was a task finding those red socks, but I did and joined the ranks of red socks all around us. In addition to the red socks, we had stickers we wore over our hearts that read "From Philly to Boston with Love".



It was a difficult race since I was not prepared but I did finish my fifth Broad Street Run and am proud to say it was NOT my slowest time!!!




So back to the real reason for my blog. . . So after getting home from our race (and two hours sitting in traffic to get home), I finally started back in on my studying. Came home from work on Monday and started right back in. Tuesday, I had taken the day off so I could study for several hours before I had to go to school to take my exam. The stress, the anxiety, it was awful. There were times I thought I was having a heart attack (panic attack most likely). I then repeated this same process Wednesday and today, Thursday for the last exam of the semester.

So as disappointed as I was on Tuesday to get a C for the semester in my one course, today I was elated to get that same C.  I was so very afraid that I just wouldn't make it.  I'd heard many of times that 60% of the students fail this exam. If I scored really poorly, it was possible that I would not be able to go on. No matter all the other things I learned and did well on, bottom line is the exams.    

I never in my life thought I would be pleased to get a C, but I've been told again and again that "C's get degrees" and I'm beginning to realize that.

So as this semester officially ends, I am now a 'second semester' nursing student. Classes start up the end of August with clinical starting the very next week. So excited to be moving on to mother-baby nursing (in addition to more 'med-surg'). I can't wait to learn some more. 

I plan on taking the summer to 'relax' a little and to read up on what I learned this semester to keep my brain working. I will try and do some updates throughout the summer if there is anything special to report. Oh wait, there will be!!!  I am going to Boston the end of July to walk the 3-Day for the Cure there (in addition to the Philly 3-Day in October). I am looking forward to meeting some other amazing 'Pink Family' people!!!

Thank you for following along on this journey. I hope to continue this throughout the remaining semesters.

  



5 comments:

  1. Patricia, you truly are an inspiration! Can't say I know many people who take the time to look for memorial-type socks, run a major marathon then go home to study, all while making positive comments in your awesome blog. I do hope you enjoy your version of a 'break' (LOL!) and look forward to your next entry! Thanks for being so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, thank you so much. I think you are pretty awesome too.

      Delete
  2. NO way you're getting rid of me!
    Lifting up prayers right now!
    Psalms 28:8-9 The LORD is their strength, and he is the saving strength of his anointed. Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance: feed them also, and lift them up for ever.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad of that Lynn. I will let you know when I post something (might be a while)

      Delete
  3. Guess I'll stop posting until you come back. Always praying!
    Psalms 5:1-3 Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation. Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray. My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete