Monday, November 7, 2016

I LOVE MY JOB

I finished up my orientation on the postpartum unit, for my friends not familiar with that term, it is what we called the maternity unit when our kids were born. I accomplished a lot in those few weeks. I've learned there is no 'down' time as moms give birth at all hours of the day and night so admissions to the unit are happening all the time. My old unit, we would complain when we had a discharge and admission in one day. My last week on the unit, I had three discharges in one day (at all various times) and an admission. I have learned how to assess a mom who has just given birth, a baby just a few hours old, given baths to those new babies, injections to both moms and babies and more things than I can remember at the moment. When staffing permits we even get to cuddle on those new babies.

Last week, I spent time with the 'baby nurse'. We have one nurse who does her best to be at as many deliveries as possible, especially ones when there may be problems. She is amazing! I learned so much from her in the three days we spent together. I would love to spend more time with her. I was in the delivery of so many babies those few days it was amazing! Some very tiny ones and some larger ones and a few times there were TWINS! Now that can be scary when you have two babies coming in a short time.

This week, I've moved to the Pre and Post Op area! This is where moms who are schedule for c-sections come before and immediately after their surgery. We also get those who have been unsuccessful delivering vaginally after they have had surgery. They stay in the post op area for some time before transferring to the postpartum unit. 

I saw my second version today. This is a procedure where the doctor or midwife attempts to turn the baby, externally, who is not in the proper position for delivery. Both versions I have witnessed were successful, but according to reports, they are often not. I started my first IV today! It was with quite a bit of assistance from my preceptor but I was so excited. Hopefully, I will get some more chances in the new few days.

Tomorrow, I will be attending an all day workshop on "Introduction to Maternity" for all recent hires and later this week, I have another all day workshop on Perinatal Loss. Christiana has an amazing support group for those who have suffered a loss. I hope that I will be able to use my own knowledge to one day help other families go through something no one should ever have to do.

This weekend, I will be moving to the L&D unit and I'm very excited for that! So much more information to learn but I am very eager to learn it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment