Friday, July 20, 2018

BEING A LABOR AND DELIVERY NURSE



When I tell people that I am Labor & Delivery Nurse, most say "Wow, that's an awesome job! You get to snuggle all those babies."  

Well, just a bit of education, being a L&D Nurse is not the nurse that gets a lot of time with babies. Those are our amazing Postpartum Nurses who spend all their time caring for the new mom and her new baby. Answering the tons of questions new moms have and helping them with their baby. They comfort the crying baby at times so mom can get some much-needed sleep. They do get some great baby snuggles at times. 

Being a L&D Nurse is more about the mom. We care for the soon to be mom during what most times is one of the most amazing days of their life. Sadly, we also care for the mom on what will be one of the saddest days of her life.  

We take mom from the moment she enters the hospital. She may be in labor, she may be an induction for one of many reasons, she may be a scheduled c-section and in some cases, she may be arriving by ambulance via an emergency and need to be delivered immediately. No matter what, we are there for mom. We are comforting her, helping her deal with her pain the way she wants to. We do educate them often on what labor entails since some are truly oblivious to the entire labor and delivery process. 

We start IV's, we will check mom's cervix (sometimes multiple times), straight cath or place a foley after they have decided to get an epidural, hold their hair while they are vomiting into a pan we will then clean out, 

When the time for delivery arrives, we help the mom each step of the way. Sometimes the doctor is at the bedside when the mom is pushing, sometimes it is just the nurse. We call the doctor when it is time. They rely on us to do that. Occasionally the doctor doesn't make it and the nurse delivers the baby. This is not the norm but can happen.

Some moms arrive at the hospital following an appointment with their doctor where they learned the awful news that their baby's heart has stopped beating. This is a very special mom. She has to do something no mother should ever have to do. She still has to go through labor and she has to deliver a baby that she will not be taking home with her.  We take turns on our unit to try to avoid burnout from dealing with these losses too frequently. 

Still, most days are amazing days. Even the saddest days are amazing in that we can be a help to a hurting family. We all dread getting 'that' room assignment, but we take it with pride and know that we are going to do the very best we can to help this family through one of the darkest days of their life.

So, being a labor and delivery nurse is pretty amazing! I still feel new some days, but many days, I feel more confident in my care and the decisions I make in caring for my mother and her baby.

I love being a Labor & Delivery Nurse!

While I continue with my nursing journey, I am still walking to raise money and awareness for breast cancer. I have been involved with Susan G Komen 3-Day for the Cure since 2009. I will continue this quest because 'EVERYONE DESERVES A LIFETIME"!! This year, I will be walking in San Diego with a group of friends. I have to raise $2300 to do this. If you can assist in any way, please visit my 3-Day page.  Please support me on this journey


No comments:

Post a Comment