Friday, March 22, 2013

Short and Sweet

Well this segment will be pretty short and sweet.  I have no photos to share this time.  And I already updated you on my exams last week so this week wasn't a lot of 'new' things.

I did learn that I hope to not have to go to a nursing home when I get older.  It is sad that so many of the residents have no one who really visits them.  Either they have outlived their family or their family is not local.  

This week we arrived at clinical and were told we would have our 'own' patient (this isn't new since we did have our own patients when we were in the hospital).  Only difference here is that there are not a lot or 'others' around to assist you if you need help.  Many of those in the nursing home need assistance with getting out of bed, repositioning in bed, going to the bathroom or being provided with incontinent care.  No matter what, most of these things need two people.  Due to all the SAFETY things we've been taught, you do NOT want to injure yourself, especially your back, by doing something that requires two people to do safely.  But, thankfully, this week, my patient was relatively independent.  My patient would need assistance to the bathroom and on occasion needed incontinent care.  My patient was able to eat dinner in the dining room unassisted so at that time, I assisted another patient who was not able to feed themself.  I love being able to help someone.  It is especially hard if they aren't all 'there' and can't let you know if they are hungry or full or thirsty.  

Since my patient was more 'with it', it was pretty easy to communicate and assess their health.  As much as I don't care for the 'atmosphere' in the nursing home.  I do enjoy bringing a little light to someones day.  I did do a lot of running around though.  I found that in this smaller setting they run out of things.  So it requires trips to other supply areas where something you find what you need and sometimes you don't.  Kind of hard to believe that a facility could run out of 'wipes', really??  Not a single pack of wipes available the one day, so we went back to the day of wash clothes and soap for providing incontinent care.  

I did have the opportunity to observe the wound team on their rounds to assess various wounds that patients had and how they were or were not healing.  I helped another patient load phone numbers in to the brand new iPhone that he was provided to keep in touch with those not within the facility.  (never thought my iPhone would actually be beneficial for a patient.  

So I will end with the fact that if you have a loved one in a facility, take the time to visit them.

7 comments:

  1. I'll bet the patients in the SNF really enjoyed your visit and loving care.
    Thank you for highlighting the needs of many of the patients in nursing homes. I think you just reminded me I might need to volunteer some time visiting those that don't have anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am here praying for your family!
    John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying right now!
    Isaiah 41:10, 13 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. (13) For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  4. Call upon the Lord! He hears! He answers according to His Will. Praying!
    Lamentations 3:55-58 I called upon thy name, O LORD, out of the low dungeon. Thou hast heard my voice: hide not thine ear at my breathing, at my cry. Thou drewest near in the day that I called upon thee: thou saidst, Fear not. O Lord, thou hast pleaded the causes of my soul; thou hast redeemed my life.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what comfort these words give! The Lord knows exactly what you're going through and will be with you every moment of every day. Keep your eyes on Him! Praying!
    Isaiah 49:13-16a Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the LORD hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted. But Zion said, The LORD hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me. Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands...
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  6. What comfort we can take from eyewitness testimony!
    1 John 1:1-4 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  7. On this Good Friday we remember all that our Redeemer did for us. Because of that we have hope! Praying!
    Job 19:25-27 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete