Friday, April 26, 2013

From the Operating Room to Public Speaking


Well we are really getting down to the wire here. Only two more weeks of school left. Two more nights of clinical and then two exams and one group project.  Hard to believe we are almost at the end of the semester.  This will be the first year I am not taking a summer course since starting this journey three years ago.

So this week started with my OR (operating room) observation. I was hoping for some 'good' surgery to observe but unfortunately my 'day' I was assigned was 'joint' day at the hospital. I arrived just before our designated time (I am always early for school and clinical and was freaking out that I was going to be late) and found that another student was already there and shortly after I arrived the third student assigned to this same day arrived. We were met by an OR nurse who then took us to the locker rooms where we changed into hospital scrubs and 'geared' up for the OR. We were each in separate OR's watching 'similar' surgeries. I was with Speedy Gonzales. This surgeon was already on his second surgery at 8:30 am. I arrived in the room where surgery number three would take place. I watched as the scrub nurse prepared a LOT of equipment. I was going to see a left knee replacement. It was amazing all the tools needed. Soon they brought the patient in and I found out quickly that they are not put under general anesthesia for this but more of a spinal block and then a twilight or light sedation. Was a little creepy when the patient was coughing and gagging. (Too much TV surgeries where everyone is out cold, haha). So I watched as the cut into the knee and the sawed and pulled and hammered and I started to get 'hot'. I didn't feel sick but got worried I might have an issue so I was able to sit and watch and then I was fine. I certainly did NOT want to pass out and contaminate the entire sterile field (or hurt myself, haha). As soon as the surgeon was done with this patient, the Physicians Assistant stepped in to close the surgical site while the surgeon moved to the next surgery. After this patient was done we wheeled them off to the recovery area and it was back to the same operating room where it was already being prepared for the next surgery. It was amazing to see how much of a TEAM these group of medical professional are. The next surgery I was able to observe about 3/4 of it was a total hip replacement, but soon it was the OR nurse calling for us to prepare to leave.  Our 'shift' was over. It was truly an amazing experience and I hope to get to do it again (only a 'cooler' surgery would be good)!

After I finished at the hospital it was off to the school where I needed to finish up some mandatory lab hours. Shortly thereafter I get a call from one of my fellow students from my clinical group telling me that they were sent home from clinical this day due to a virus going through the nursing home. Wow, I certainly don't want to catch whatever is going around, so I am very happy that the school takes our health into consideration at times too.

On Tuesday since we were still unable to return to the nursing home, we had our clinical time in the lab at school. We had several simulations set up where we had to assess our patient or provide care for another patient, we practiced would care, diabetic testing and insulin shots and 'comfort' care for an elderly 'patient' who suffering from Alzheimer's. After I did this simulation, my instructor told me she felt my 'calling' was possibly for hospice or nursing home area. I told her I wasn't so sure, as I get 'attached' to my patients (in a matter of minutes)! We did get to work on SimMan again. It's crazy how 'life like' he can be. His eyes react to the light when you are checking PERRAL (pupils, equal, round, react to light and accommodation). He also had various lung sounds, pulse rates, blood pressure, you name he can probably do it.



We had a good afternoon of clinical and it was good to go over some things we learned much earlier in the semester. Always good to review.  

Well, today was a luncheon I had been invited too. It was in coordination with the scholarship I received a few weeks ago. The school likes to bring the donors and recipients together to see how the donors money is making a difference.  I was looking forward to this luncheon UNTIL I got a call earlier in the week asking if I would speak at the luncheon. I was told, just something short to give my 'story'; why I chose this school and how this scholarship will help me.  SURE, I said, no problem. And then I started to freak! I am not one who like to speak in front of people. I love to talk, but 'having' to talk is not the same thing. 

I had stressed about this 'speech'. I initially thought, I'll just 'read' my thank you letter that I wrote to the organization that awarded me my scholarship. Then a friend said 'don't read' just put bullets down and go from there so I tried that but found I was adding to much to my bullets. So today about an hour before leaving when a co-worker asked if I was 'ready or nervous' and thought oh no, I don't really have anything 'ready'. So I grabbed my note card and looked at my thank you letter and threw it all away. I put three one line notes on a 3x5 card.  

So I arrived about 10 minutes before the start time, got my name tag and was told what table I seated at. I then went into the conference center and found my 'place' at the table (there was a card with MY name on it!). I looked at the program that was laid at each place setting and FREAKED OUT!



My name was right there, I really was going to be speaking to this group (thankfully a smaller group of about 50 people). I got very nervous, my hands were shaking, my insides were shaking. Little by little everyone arrived and we started the luncheon. It was nice to just have 'normal' conversation while eating and getting to know the other people at my table. There were two other students at my table along with one donor and three faculty members.  We shared a little about who we were, what we were doing and enjoyed not thinking about that speech. So then it was time. The VP was up first. He recognized all the donors in attendance and the students. It was then time for the other student to get up and talk (thank goodness he was before me)!  He seemed all confident but was nervous too. He pretty much read his speech and told the audience he was doing that to make sure he didn't forget anything. Then it was my turn. Oh my gosh, deep breath, again, breathe!!!!

I walked up to the podium. I introduced myself and pretty much let it roll. I told them that I love to talk, but I don't love to 'have' to talk and that I was truly shaking! I explained how I worked in a small Christian school for many years and got to 'play nurse' since we didn't have one. I finally decided when I 'grew up' what I wanted to do. I explained that I chose this college due to the wonderful things I'd heard about the program I am involved in. I made people laugh when I mentioned how I attended an 'Nursing Information Session' roughly three years ago and thought NO WAY could I do that, it will take forever to get into the program. But I registered in May of 2010 for my very first college course. I tackled each one and just this past January I started the clinical portion of the program!

I went on to tell them that this scholarship meant so much to me. I actually cried when I received the call that I was awarded this scholarship. I teared up at this point and so did a few of the ladies there. I explained that my husband works two jobs and I work almost full time and we truly live paycheck to paycheck (like so many others). I told them how I had to take a student loan this semester. I hated the fact that I had to do that, but $1200 in book store charges alone this semester were far greater than the financial aid I had received. I told them that I hoped this scholarship would enable me to attend the fall semester without having to take another loan. I thanked the donors who have made so much possible for so many students and I think I looked down at my 3x5 card and said 'out loud' 'Well I guess I covered everything'!!  

I was told over and over by many in attendance that I should never underestimate myself, I am a wonderful public speaker. The Dean came over to congratulate me along with several other 'high up there' school officials, each saying how well I did, how my 'story' was touching.  The student who spoke before me asked 'Hey, I thought you couldn't talk in front of people, did you practice that?' to which I replied, NOPE!  I just let it roll. I was able to finish my lunch and then it was time to head back to work. I don't think I actually stopped shaking until I was back at my office!

I will have  just a few more updates before taking a little break for the summer. I pray that these last few weeks go smoothly and that all the information I am learning stays up in my brain where I need it!


Help me reach my goal for the Susan G. Komen Boston 3-Day

14 comments:

  1. I knew you could do it, Patricia! It sounds like your speech was a huge success. Speaking from the heart always makes such a difference and the fact you truly appreciate the gift of this scholarship shone through. Thanks again for another awesome update! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, thanks for always encouraging me. I always wonder if anyone is actually going to read what I write but then I remember, I'm writing it for me, so I'll remember where I came from. I love sharing this journey with others.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you know I read it! SO GLAD you're going to have some weeks off! How long will you have off? Oh wow, you deserve it! Knew you'd do a fantastic job with the speech! You rock, girl!!!!!!!!
    Always keep your eyes on the Lord! Praying!
    Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying in Seattle!
    1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am here praying!
    Psalms 27:1, 4-5 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?...One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple. For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  6. Know that you're always in my thoughts and prayers!
    Psalms 27:7-9 Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me. When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek. Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying!
    Psalms 27:13-14: I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't imagine any greater comfort than knowing that the Holy Spirit Himself is praying for you!
    Romans 8:26-28 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying right now!
    Romans 8:35, 37-39 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?...Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying as always!
    Isaiah 55:6-11 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  11. Continuing to pray!
    Romans 5:6-9 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping by to let you know that you're always in my thoughts and prayers!
    Psalms 91:1-2, 4 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. (4) He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whatever the Lord allows to happen in your life, He'll get you through! Praying right now!
    Psalms 91:9-12 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete