Tuesday, June 14, 2016

A BRAND NEW NURSE

It's been so long since I've updated and wanted to share some things going on. Our daughter Aubre graduated nursing school last month and passed the NCLEX this week. She is now officially an RN!!!! So excited and happy for her. This was Aubre at her Pinning Ceremony.


Both Aubre and Tyler graduated from Delaware Technical Community College last month (Tyler, like myself finished in December and had to wait for the only ceremony). The two graduates!


In other news on my Nursing Journey, so much has happened but I've just not been keeping up with my blog. My manager asked me to represent our group on the hospital wide Nursing Technology Council. I attend monthly meetings about the upcoming changes to hospital computer programs and new programs being rolled out. It's been great to be on the front end of this. It has enabled me to now help others on our unit (and throughout my hospital) with MAJOR changes that occurred this past week. Some people do not like change. Our unit had been the pilot of electronic documentation for our hospital system. We have not used hardly any paper forms since I started working there. While other units throughout were using flow charts, we documented all assessments, rounding, meds, vitals, virtually everything electronically. Even through we've been doing this, the new system that rolled out this week affected everyone, including our unit.  So there is lots of learning going on. I love that I love computers and can help others.

In addition to this, I started back to school, working on my BSN at Wilmington University. I took Statistics my first semester. I thought since I liked math I would start with this; not really a good reason. I did fine, passing with an A but am glad that is over. While deciding to go back to school, I decided to also work on a Health Information Technology Certificate in addition to my Bachelors. 

Last week, I was promoted to an RNII position (not a 'real' promotion) but part of our clinical ladder. I am no longer a 'new' nurse but one with 'experience'. I know that I will always have more experienced nurses on our unit to go to if I have a question or something I'm unsure of. I went from my light green hang tag to this dark green one! I was so excited.



Once again, I am working to raise money in the fight against breast cancer. I would love to walk Philly this year but have struggled to raise the necessary funds. I will continue to train others to walk and if I am unable, I will crew on the medical team again.If you can help me, please go to www.the3day.org/goto/pjstevens




No comments:

Post a Comment