Wednesday, February 20, 2013

WOW! I Can Do This!

Trying to remember where I left off from last week.  Oh, we had our first exam in NUR 142 and I got an A!  I was so happy to see that!  We are required mandatory lab hours where we work on the skills we've been taught so that we are proficient in doing them when working with REAL people!  So Saturday morning I spent a couple hours in the lab working on vitals and wound care. This is the 'old' Sim Man who we practiced our vitals on.  We had to detect his pulse, (radial, apical and pedal - in other words, wrist, heart and foot); blood pressure and respiratory rate.  He is not as 'advanced' as the newer Sim Man and I'll get a photo of him one of these days.  


So, Monday arrived and it was my first time pulling these hours.  Up just after 5am to be at the Y by 6am, workout, work by 8am and then the hospital for clinical at 2:30pm until 9:30 pm.  It was a LONG day and full of lots of information (all orientation things).  The next day we were getting our own patient (we were told before that we would 'share' a patient starting out, but our instructor does not believe in that.  So with a little apprehension we were 'on our own' the next night.  I was excited to finally be working with a real person and couldn't wait until it was time (yes, I was a little nervous too).

You all know all those HIPAA laws (those forms you sign when you go to the doctors), well because of that I can only share 'vague' information with you.  I received my patients information to review when we came on the floor.  After looking through my patients info our instructor asks us about our patient (making sure we actually read through their info).  My patient was mentally challenged.  My patient was on contact precautions (meaning I had to wear a gown and gloves whenever in the room).  

For those who have known me forever know that I had a sister who was mentally retarded (MR) as is now 'appropriate'.  Susan was my older sister.  She fell in early 2002 and was admitted to a the hospital.  She contracted a bacterial infection which eventually caused her death on March 14, 2002.  I was raised knowing that some people are different but they are all 'people'.  

I believe that God had his hand in this as it was the perfect patient for me!  I had no qualms about having this patient and had an amazing first night.  I was able to do vitals; had the opportunity to empty a colostomy; do perineal care; view pressure sores and change bedding!  I had an amazing first night!!!

In lab, doing these things on a simulated person just doesn't prepare you completely for the real thing.  Not knowing how I would honestly feel when I had to address these items, I was a little concerned, BUT, when the time came, I didn't think twice about it!  I did it and I would go back and do it again!  

I really do enjoy what I am learning!!!

9 comments:

  1. That's awesome, Patti. Thanks for sharing all your new adventures. Isn't it amazing how the Lord worked it out for you to have someone who would be special to you, just like Susan. This is just the beginning:) Love you my friend and I'm SO proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. I felt the same way. There were others in my group who I don't think would have appreciated that as their first patient.

      Delete
  2. So knew you could do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You go, girl!!!!!!!!! You're going to be the kind of nurse that people talk about when they get out of the hospital! The one they praise to their families!
    Know that I'm always praying!
    Psalms 31:5, 7-8 Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth (7-8) I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities; And hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy: thou hast set my feet in a large room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn. I am really enjoying each step of this.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Patricia! It sounds like you are really doing great and I am so glad to hear that you had your first case of "fate and circumstance" your very first night! I can't wait to read your next post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I thought of you post about that when I was typing this out.

      Delete
  4. Still here! Still praying!
    Psalms 36:5-7 Thy mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds. Thy righteousness is like the great mountains; thy judgments are a great deep: O LORD, thou preservest man and beast. How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here comes a new week! You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Know that I'm always here praying!
    Psalms 17:6-7 I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech. Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still praying in Seattle!
    Psalms 116:1-5 I love the LORD, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications. Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live. The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow. Then called I upon the name of the LORD; O LORD, I beseech thee, deliver my soul. Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete