Saturday, February 21, 2015

SO VERY BLESSED!!

Today, I received a small package in the mail. I did not recognize the return address or name. I opened the package to discover two envelopes inside. One contained a small wrapped gift along with a couple photos and the other a typed letter. I was still unsure who would be sending me something, I hadn't placed any orders lately and was just confused. The letter stated that I did not know the person, but she wanted to share her story with me. I cried as I read this woman's journey, so very similar to mine in some areas. I was so touched that she reached out to tell me her story. 

She didn't go to college until she was in her 40's, and it was a tough road with bumps along the way. She was pursuing a dream to become a nurse! Starting college later in life was very difficult, especially if you have to work while doing this. You worry about so many things that a young student doesn't typically worry about (i.e. finances, upkeep of your home, etc). Sometimes things don't go as planned and it takes a little longer to reach that finish line.

My new friend, Mary, shared her journey with me. She shared a beautiful photo of when she graduated nursing school (along with a current one of her and her hubby). But in addition to this beautiful letter, Mary sent a gift to me. It is a charm. This charm was given to her when she graduated nursing school in 1986. I think this is the most generous thing I have ever experienced and am still crying as I write this post.

Mary, I will be wearing this proudly!!!! I will also share your amazing story!


As it turns out, Mary's son is a friend of mine! We met Peter and his wife, Jen on a Disney Cruise to Canada, the summer before I was to start clinical (I was starting the following January). Peter & Jen have remained friends via Facebook and even came out to cheer me on when I walked in the Boston 3-Day for the Cure. Peter had shared my story with his mom, having lived through her attaining her dream and he has supported me with encouraging words or messages.

I am truly blessed to have such amazing friends!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Okay, now I'm sitting here in tears! Oh what a special gift!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete