Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My Head is Exploding

There is so much information to remember.  My brain feels like it's exploding (could be the migraine I'm battling right now though).  

Yesterday my community group continued to assess Claymont and the resources available to the residents.  At times I don't think very 'high' of my community as I've lived here all my life (sans two years that we lived right outside of Claymont).  In assessing the area I was actually amazed at what is available to the residents.  The Claymont Community Center has so many resources.  They offer a clinic for uninsured, or under insured; before and after school care; preschool; social services; financial planning; counseling; job preparation courses; English as a second language and so many other things.  Right  here in Claymont we have historic buildings dating back to the 1700's and new construction that draws 'yuppies' to the area.  We have a brand new library under construction that should be done later this  year. 



Another D&D shot from this past week.  We actually met our instructor here yesterday to go over our community project.  I was our 'resident' since I live here (we had to interview a resident and key informant).

Today we were back on site at our school lab.  I'm proud to tell people I am part of the nursing program at Delaware Technical.  It has one of the best labs in the country (and we are a 'community college')!!  I can't wait to share some of the things our 'sim' people do as I learn more.  

Today we finished up vitals (various ways to take a temperature), pulse, respiration and b/p with a test on the sim-person.  I was a little concerned at first when I just couldn't locate the pulse (this artificial person's skin is 'thicker' than a real person), but once I located that I was good.  Did b/p and respiration on this person.  PASSED!  Relief, I know it's something so small and it's only the start but the 'test anxiety' I get is enough to drive me nuts.  So that's good :)

We then worked with real people (our classmates) in demonstrating ROM (range of motion), positioning a patient in a bed (to avoid bed sores), bandaging we worked on last week and lots of other things.  We do something called 'grab bag' where we take a 'task' out of the box and then have to demonstrate that to our classmates and instructor, treating our 'classmate/patient' as we would truly treat them in the hospital setting.  Things are setting in and becoming a little more familiar.

I have two online lectures later this week, a seminar and a medical abbreviations quiz.  On Saturday I will be spending a few hours in the lab at school to go over what I'm learning (we are required LOTS of independent hours and with my work and school schedule Saturday morning is the only time slot open right now).  

I hope to have some photos of our 'sim-people' for you next week.  They are rather odd looking, lol, but they will help us learn how to treat a REAL person.


12 comments:

  1. Ok - I may have figured this out - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo!! All of this will be second nature to you very soon. Keep up the great work and positive attitude! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for your poor head! Anything new seems overwhelming at first but you're GOING to get the hang of this and it will be second nature to you soon! YOU CAN DO THIS!
    Psalms 27:1, 4-5 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?...One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple. For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn, Head is much better this am, thankfully :)

      Delete
  5. So how many days a week do you do this?
    Know that you're always in my thoughts and prayers!
    Psalms 27:7-9 Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me. When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek. Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clinical are two days a week but I have online and in class lectures and seminars and then exams so I'm either doing school work or in school EVERY day for the next two years (already looking forward to summer break)

      Delete
  6. Hang in there! You're going to do a great job and get through this just fine! Who needs sleep anyway, right?
    Praying!
    Psalms 27:13-14: I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like coming here most days (I take Friday's off) because I really want to be here to support you. Today's passage is especially comforting! Can't imagine any greater comfort than knowing that the Holy Spirit Himself is praying for you!
    Romans 8:26-28 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying right now!
    Psalms 91:1-2, 4 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. (4) He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete