Tuesday, February 5, 2013

No photos today, sorry.  Boy has life been crazy.  Lots of family things going on to add to the stress of my first real exam this coming Thursday.  Would appreciate any prayers you can spare for this (the exam and the crazy stuff going on).

I spent most of this past weekend studying for this coming exam.  

Since I am in the 'afternoon/night' clinical rotation, I do not go to school every day.  Lectures are done in a tech room with full recording (so it's just like you are there).  So I spent hours watching those videos which we then put into use this week in lab (hands on)!

Spent the past week learning about hygiene (bed baths), how to keep your patient warm and protecting their privacy while bathing them while they are confined to a bed.  For those patients that may need oxygen, we went over oxygen therapy and when to use a nasal cannula vs a mask.  We worked on urinary and bowel incontinence along with ostomies, when these will need to be drained and when they'll actually need to be replaced and how to do that.  We went over the various ways of specimen collection.  We discussed enteral (feeding) tubes.  I actually had a student who needed to be tube fed when I worked at the small Christian school years ago.  I wasn't the 'school nurse' but that was one of the many hats I wore and helped me to decide to go into this profession.  We also did blood glucose testing (that too I had some practice with as one of our teachers and a student were diabetic) today.  With all this 'stuff' coming out of the body we went over intake and output (liquid going in vs the amount coming out).

We went to a Community Forum on Monday. We heard from AIDS Delaware, St. Francis Home Health Care and the Red Cross.  We are putting together the finishing touches on our community project from the past two weeks and will be presenting that to our class on Monday.

I'm certain there is lots more but I try and update this when I get home when it's still fresh in my mind.

Thank you for following along and hope it will get more interesting for you soon.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What fun stuff! But obviously so necessary!
    Always look to the Lord whatever the need. You know I'm praying so very, very hard!!!!!!!!!!!
    Psalms 121:1-4 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth. He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always here praying!
    Psalms 121:5-8 The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand. The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete