Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Exciting Things Happening

Wow, since last week so much has happened (thus the multiple updates last week).  Will try to keep it to one post a week to not bore you with the little things that excite me.  So much though to tell you.


Our Community Group


Monday we went to a local senior center where we were we met with, interviewed and played games with various seniors there.  We toured the facility and found that there were so many options for the visitors to do.  They have different activities each day of the week along with a fitness center and gym that is available each day.  We met an older gentleman who suffers from Parkinson but thanks to a procedure where electrodes were placed in his head his symptoms are much more manageable.  We assessed those we interview for an risks of falling at their home.  Some of us played Wii Bowling with the bowling king there (no lie he gets 300's most games he plays!).  It was a lot of fun and an enjoyable morning.  Our time there ended when one of our group sang for those in attendance.  (unfortunately my video will not load)

Afterwards we went back to campus to present our Community Project.  We did very well and received 18/20 points on our presentation.

Today we were back in the lab for more hands on!  Next week I'll be in the hospital setting so this week we went over everything we'd learned so far.  I received my interim evaluation where I was told I was going a good job, demonstrating the skills I've learned and my ability to communicate with my patient what it is that I am doing to them.  

Things we worked on this week were assessing, cleaning and dressing pressure sores and various wounds (those open that needed packing and those not just needing new dressing).  We went over surgical asepsis, sterile vs clean technique, application of heat and cold and drains.  

This is one of the many 'Sim' Persons in our lab.  We had to access the really cool SimMan at one point today as he was having trouble breathing (lips turning blue), coughing and gasping.  We were able to assist him with re-positioning his bed, putting 3L of O2 (oxygen) on him (via nasal cannula).  We got his pulse ox (which was down to 89 at first), his blood pressure, pulse rate, respirations and apical pulse.   After we stabilized him we asked the instructor about our 'person'.  I asked if he could have a seizure which he promptly started having.  It's amazing the technology we have in this lab!  Next week there is an Open House in the Nursing Lab and I hope that I can bring my family in to see these amazing people that I get to work on.


Next week I should be updating after my first two days at the hospital!  I am excited and nervous at the same time.


7 comments:

  1. So...did SimMan give you a good evaluation?! ;o)
    Know that I'm always here praying!
    Isaiah 53:4-6 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  2. But of course you did!
    Christ went through all this for us, that we might have hope! Praying!
    Isaiah 53:7-10: He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christ suffered in our place that we might have the hope of Heaven! Always praying!
    Isaiah 53:11-12 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  4. Know that the Lord is always with you, wrapping His loving arms around you and holding on tight! Praying right now!
    Psalms 18:2-6 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid. The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me. In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying!
    Psalms 18:30-32 As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him. For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God? It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you're getting in some good sleepin' right now!
    Praying right now!
    Psalms 31:1-3 In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness. Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily: be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me. For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete