Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I'm actually doing this!

The week goes by so fast that I can't believe it is time to update here.  After my post last week, we learned in lab about naso-pharyngeal suctioning.  On Thursday night the Student Nurse Association hosted an Open House at our lab so we could bring our families to the lab so they could see the Sim people we work on.  Aubre and Dale accompanied me to this and got a little peek at what I get to do.



On Friday we started on medications (we had med lectures recently and learned how to look up meds in the drug guide and obtain all the info that a nurse would need to know).  So Friday our lab was on dispensing meds.  My lab group did trans-dermal, ears/eyes/nose and we did PEG tube.  This week we'll do oral meds and go over calculations.

So clinical this week was very enjoyable (but very tiring).  My feet are just getting wet but I hope I can keep up the pace and not fall behind.

Monday, my patient was being sent for an echo-cardiogram and a vascular study just after I arrived on the unit.  I was able to accompany my patient to these procedures.  The tech doing the echo let me 'sit and watch' (out of the way); but the tech who did the other procedure was very open in letting me stay right there and watch and the tech took the time to describe what he was seeing and how it related to the patient.  

Tuesday, my patient was being sent to the OR just after I arrived in the unit. Since this wasn't a 'planned' procedure I was not permitted to accompany this patient.  I will get a day later in the semester to observe in the OR.  Since my patient was not there for a bit, I lent a hand where needed.  I was able to observe a bladder scan and a straight cath.  This is something I will actually  learn later in the semester.  

I am glad that our clinical assignments are in a real working hospital (or similar location) and for the most part we have nurses who work with us and help us to learn.

Trying to keep it short and simple, hopefully hitting on the highlights from the week.



8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing so well! You'll find a way to keep up! So glad you were able to share what you're doing with family, too!
    Praying hard!
    Psalms 59:16-17 But I will sing of thy power; yea, I will sing aloud of thy mercy in the morning: for thou hast been my defence and refuge in the day of my trouble. Unto thee, O my strength, will I sing: for God is my defence, and the God of my mercy.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Patricia! You are learing so much so fast!
    It's great that you had a chance to observe and learn some of these procedures. It will be very helpful when you get in patients who are fearful and you can ease their fears by telling them what to expect.
    The love and compassion you are already showing makes me know WHO I want as my nurse if ever I need one!
    Keep up the great work and I can't wait to read your next post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. I really am enjoying it (even when I'm completely exhausted).

      Delete
  3. Our only true hope is in the Lord!
    Romans 15:4, 13 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. (13) Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying right now!
    Psalms 86:1-4 Bow down thine ear, O LORD, hear me: for I am poor and needy. Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee. Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I cry unto thee daily. Rejoice the soul of thy servant: for unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying!
    Psalms 86:5-7 For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. Give ear, O LORD, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications. In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  6. Know that I'm always here praying so very, very hard!!!!!!!
    Psalms 33:20-22 Our soul waiteth for the LORD: he is our help and our shield. For our heart shall rejoice in him, because we have trusted in his holy name. Let thy mercy, O LORD, be upon us, according as we hope in thee.
    My email address

    ReplyDelete